Believe it or not we’re not all naturals at networking, but if you put in a bit of effort it can be a really enjoyable and productive experience. Here’s a few tips that we’ve picked up along the way to help you get started:
Tips for networking
1. Remember to take lots of business cards with you to hand out at the event.
2. Identify potential contacts before the networking event. Get hold of a list of attendees for the event (we publish a list of attendees on our website) and identify two or three people that you want to meet. This could be, for example, someone that you’ve only talked to on the phone or that you’ve never come across professionally before and would like to meet.
3. Think about what you want to get out of the networking event.
4. Practice your “elevator speech” – who you are and what you do.
5. When you get to the event don’t be afraid to ask for an introduction. Sometimes this can be an easier way to start up a conversation.
6. Follow up – at the event ask for business cards and make contact with the people that you meet the following weeks, perhaps referring to a particular topic you talked about or simply to say you enjoyed meeting.
7. Relax and enjoy! YBG offer an informal networking environment, providing something for everyone, whether it be seated dinning or more casual/activity based networking at our drinks nights.
Events & ideas
We’re always keen to hear from our members, so if you’ve got an idea for a networking event please contact us at email@example.com